Appendix 1: ULT Freezer Maintenance Checklist
1. Check external components of the unit:
- Check temperature settings and actual temperature reading on display. Note discrepancies.
- Clean condenser area and condenser coil, either by brushing, vacuuming, or chemically cleaning as needed.
- Clean or replace filter.
- Check power cord and receptacles. Note deficiencies.
- Inspect electrical wiring, components and connections for signs of wear or overheating. Note deficiencies.
- Check operation of components. Note deficiencies.
- Investigate whether seal functions properly. Note deficiencies.
2. If authorization to open laboratory refrigeration unit is provided during scheduled maintenance, then perform the following:
- Inspect hardware and gaskets. Note deficiencies.
- Remove ice from gaskets and clean floor after removing ice.
- Note the need for users to defrost freezers if ice buildup is evident.
- Inspect evaporator coils for damage, obstructions, and cleanliness. Note deficiencies.
- Inspect fan grills and evaporator pan for cleanliness. Note deficiencies.
- Inspect lighting. Note deficiencies.
3. If refrigeration cabinet is empty, then perform the following:
- Pull and clean evaporator fan shroud and clean fan grills and evaporator pan.
- Clean evaporator coil.
- Investigate why freezer is empty and tag for follow up.