The active NCI Green Team organizes and participates in several activities throughout the year to support sustainability. Most activities at NCI occur in the LEED-certified Shady Grove building, which features a green roof to save on water and daylight harvesting to save on electricity.
Plastic bag collection
In select kitchens, we collect plastic bags that people might otherwise throw in the trash. We reuse them or take them to our local grocery stores for recycling.
We collect batteries for recycling on campus. The collection jars are found in every large kitchen. Each kitchen is assigned to a Green Team member who collects the batteries on a regular basis and takes them to a central location. Then, the building operations staff makes sure they get to campus.
Book swap shelf
We maintain a bookshelf of books and magazines for swapping. Green Team members take turns maintaining order in one-month shifts.
The bookshelf is located at the back of the Shady Grove cafeteria seating area.
Each August, we use our regular meeting time to go on a field trip. Past trips include:
- NCI Shady Grove Green Roof Presentation—2017
- Montgomery County Transfer Station—2016
- Rockville location of My Organic Market (MOM's)—2015
- Shady Grove Adventist Hospital Cafeteria (to check out their recycling signage) —2014
Tuesday, November 14, 2017
11 a.m.-1 p.m.
Terrace Level outside of the cafeteria
America Recycles Collection
November 13-17, 2017
- Books for the Shady Grove Book Swap Shelf (Shady Grove only)
- Eye glasses and their cases
- Personal cell phones and the gadgets that go with them
- Towels and blankets
- Plastic grocery bags
- Conference bags and satchels
- VHS tapes and CD's
- Computer-related equipment, such as keyboards, mice, cables, speakers, web cams, etc.
- Unopened office supplies
Unwanted/Broken Holiday Light Collection
December 4, 2017 until mid-January, 2018
Meetings are scheduled on the 4th Thursday of the month from 10-11 a.m.
Next meeting, October 26, 2017
E-mail us at: email@example.com
Subscribe to our NIH-hosted listserv: NCI_GREEN_TEAM@LIST.NIH.GOV
Green Team Lead: