The NIH Green Labs Fair is an annual event that showcases products and techniques that could be used by labs at the NIH to reduce their impact on the environment. This year's event will be held virtually on October 27th, 2022 from 12-1pm. Add the live session to your calendar by clicking here! This session will include a few small presentations about NIH programs that enable and encourage labs to incorporate green practices into their daily routines. There will also be a Question and Answer session for all manor of green lab topics. Are you wondering how a specific waste should be disposed? Would you like to hear what other labs at NIH and around the world are doing to become more sustainable? Do you want to find new and sustainable products to fit your lab activities? Questions like these and much more will be asked during the live session! This session will occur during the typical bi-monthly meeting time for the Sustainable Lab Practices Working Group, which is at the very forefront of green labs at the NIH. Please consider joining this group by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in making labs at the NIH more sustainable! Information about a wide variety of green products can be found in the table below. We will be adding information up to the week of the event, so check back often for the latest additions!
Learn about green products here!
More information on the advantages of these green products can be found here.
- The I.DOT is a tip-less, non-contact dispenser that reduces plastic waste
- The C.WASH is a tip-less, non-contact plate washer that eliminates all plastic waste from pipette tips
- SafeGLO Safe DNA Dye (safer alternative to ethidium bromide)
- Centrifuge tubes with new sizes to decrease plastic waste
- Jess Automated Western Blot System
- Ella Automated Immunoassay System
Maximize sample, minimize consumable waste with a variety of immunoassay technologies including multiplexing and automation of your protein analysis.
Our technology development is changing many traditional laboratory processes leading to significant improvements in results while delivering substantial waste reduction for our customers. An example is the novel approach to automate Western Blotting using the revolutionary WES platform which reduces waste by over 99%!
Cell Signaling Technology
- Green packaging methods like biodegradable cardboard coolers and packaging materials made from post-consumer paper.
- CellXpert® C170i Cell Culture Incubator
- Various Liquid Handling (Pipetting) Instruments
- Eppendorf Centrifuges
Government Scientific Source
- Stirling Ultracold Energy Star certified freezers
- Thermo Fisher TSX Series High-Performance Refrigerators
- Eppendorf Sustainable Centrifuges
Imgen & DeNovix
- Imgen Green Products
Worthington Enzymes - all kits use recyclable cardboard boxes. ZERO plastics!
HistoClear - all-natural clearing agent that eliminates xylene for histology
CellDrop - count cells without using plastic slides
- Odyssey M Imaging System
- Odyssey DLx Imaging System
- Pearl Trilogy Imaging System
NIH Supply Center
- Notebook w/ Environmentally Friendly Natural Stone Paper
- Stapler with 30% Recycled Content
- Biodegradable O-Ring Binder
Customer Service Contact Information:
1-833-3 ONE NIH (1-833-366-3644)
- 26 cu. ft. VIP ECONatural Refrigerant -86°C Freezer
- 24.4 cu.ft.High-Performance Biomedical Freezer
- 24.2 cu. ft. Upright Pharmacy Refrigerator
- Polycarbin provides scientists with a closed-loop solution for laboratory plastics. As a recycler and product re-manufacturer, Polycarbin turns the plastic waste of today into the laboratory products of tomorrow. Whether you find yourself at the lab benchtop or at the heart of operations, Polycarbin invites you to take part in the life science innovation ecosystem of the future.
- E-commerce storefront for Poycarbin products
- Product catalogue (w/ discount codes for NIH)
- ONE-Glo EX Luciferase Assay System that creates less waste, conserves energy, and is less hazardous.
- Maxwell HT 96 gDNA Blood Isolation System
- ReliaPrep Large Volume HT gDNA Isolation System
- TerraRack Tips - 100% recyclable tip racks that use 41% less plastic than conventional racks.
- Pipette Trade-Up Program - old pipettes are recycled or parts are reused. Contact your rep for more info!
- Mail-in Pipette Service - plants a tree every time a service kit is returned. Register and order on ShopRainin!
- QPatch II is an automated patch-clamp system for drug discovery, safety/toxicology testing, and basic research.
- QPatch II features reusable titanium-coated pipettes, minimal plastic use, and low power consumption.
Energy Star-certified ULT freezer:
- Upright ULT Freezer (SU780XLE)
Compact and energy-efficient ULT freezers:
- Undercounter ULT Freezer (SU105UE)
- Portable ULT Freezer (ULT25NEU)
* The NIH does not endorse any of these products.
We hope that everyone discovers a new green product for their lab! The Green Labs Fair was first created over a decade ago by a few dedicated NIH researchers that were members of the Sustainable Laboratory Practices Working Group. The founding members are: Minoo Shakoury-Elizah, Daman Kumari, Jean Tiong-Kohler and Barbara Zwiesler. The Green Labs Fair is also supported by the NIH Office of Research Facilities, Division of Environmental Protection. If you are interested in past Green Lab Fairs, please use these links below to explore some green product brochures from those events:
2016 NIH Green Labs Fair
2017 NIH Green Labs Fair
2018 NIH Green Labs Fair
2019 NIH Green Labs Fair