All NIH Staff are invited to join the 2023 NIH Earth Day! The activities for this year's Earth Day event will be updated below as details are finalized, so please check back regularly for updated content. Please contact
Josh Haines with any questions regarding Earth Day activities.
The Bethesda campus will host an in-person event on April 27, 2023 from 10am to 2pm on the lawn in front of Building 1. The event will occur in conjunction with the NIH Take Your Child to Work Day, so activities will be available for both NIH staff and their children. These activities cover a variety of environmental topics ranging from waste management and pollution to stormwater erosion and habitat preservation. The full activity details are available below. Unless specified otherwise, all activities will run from 10am to 2pm. We hope to see you at the NIH Earth Day event!
- Earth Day Pledge Tree - Make a pledge to protect the environment with the ORF/ORS Green Team's Earth Day Pledge Tree!
- Live Animals from Local Wildlife Societies - Come see live animals with their trained handlers from local wildlife societies like the Maryland Reptile Conservation Center, the Mid-Atlantic Turtle & Tortoise Society and the Susquehannock Wildlife Society. The featured animals will include snakes, turtles and more! Learn how these animals are affected by humans and how we can keep their habitats healthy.
- Investigating Radioactivity - Discover the properties of radioactive materials and the effects of radiation. Learn how to detect radiation around you, including where you might find it and how to protect yourself from it!
- Composting Fun with Jeremy Wormy - Join NICHD to learn about the world of worms and why they enjoy compost. You may even get to speak with Jeremy Wormy face-to-face! There will also be a few giveaways like seed packets, mint plants and more.
- Waste at the NIH – Learn about waste management at the NIH while playing a fun recycling game! NIH staff will describe the many waste and recycling programs available on the NIH campus and answer any questions. Come grab a recycling bin for your office!
- Electric Vehicle Extravaganza! - Come see a display of electric vehicles and learn about their features. The owners of the vehicles are NIH staff that are very knowledgeable regarding the logistics of commuting to the NIH with an electric vehicle. Come ask them any questions you may have about owning or operating an electric vehicle!
- Seedling Giveaway - Claim a free seedling to plant at home, sponsored by the NIH Federal Credit Union. There are a limited number of seedlings that will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. The giveaway will begin at 10am and last until seedling run out.
- Shop Like an Expert - Join the NIH Supply Center to learn how an expert shops at the NIH. Browse the green product offerings from the NIH Supply Center to help protect the environment!
- Buzzing with Honey Bees - Get an up-close view of honey bees with an observation hive from the Montgomery County Beekeepers Association. Learn why pollinators are a crucial part of the environment and how we can protect them.
- Win the Recycling Game! - Discover which items can be recycled with the Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection. Play educational games related to waste and recycling to win a prize!
- Composting with the Compost Crew - Join the Compost Crew to learn about composting through a fun matching game! Correctly identify which items are trash, recycling and compost!
- Biking with a Purpose – Use your own energy to pedal a bicycle and power a radio playing your favorite tunes. Biking is a great way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and fight climate change!
- Guided Tour of the NIH Stream - 2 Sessions, beginning at 11am or 1pm (each tour will last about 45 minutes) - Take a guided tour of the NIH Stream to learn about the various environmental aspects of this feature. Discover the effects of the Stream on stormwater management, local wildlife habitats, pollution and more. The tour will meet at the flagpole on the lawn in front of Building 1 and leave promptly at the designated time. The tour will conclude at this same location. A virtual tour is available here!
- Spin the Prize Wheel – Join the NIH Federal Credit Union at Earth Day to spin the prize wheel!
- Earth Day Scavenger Hunt – See if you can complete this environment-themed scavenger hunt on the Bethesda campus during Earth Day!
- Washing Away Pollution – Learn how stormwater runoff affects pollution with the EnviroScape model! Add pollution to the 3-D landscape, then make it rain with your squirt bottle to see what happens!
- Energy Efficient Cold Storage – Join PHC at Earth Day to learn about their energy efficient cold storage products, including new ULT freezers that push the limit of energy conservation.
- HHS Kids' Earth Day Poster Contest – View the NIH submissions and winners for the 2023 Poster Contest here!
- Food and Shopping – Swing by Earth Day to visit a few local vendor booths or pick up some food at one of the food trucks!
Ft. Detrick Campus
The NCI Frederick Green Team is planning polinator activities for the Ft. Detrick campus. Their goal is to establish a small pollinator garden for Earth Day. Information on these activities will be added when available.
Research Triangle Park Campus
These are the activities being held on the Research Triangle Park campus:
|Tuesday, April18, 1:30pm - 3:00pm - Electric Fleet Vehicle Roundup|
- Come get a first-hand look at electric vehicles in the NIEHS fleet and learn more about their environmental and operational benefits.
- Vehicles will be on display in the plaza outside the main entrance to the Rall Building.
|Wednesday, April 19, 11:30am - 1:00pm - Adopt-a-Highway Litter Collection|
- Join fellow NIEHSers for a voluntary roadside litter collection on Hopson Road near campus.
- Meet at the Rall Building flagpole at 11:30am to receive a safety briefing and supplies and get a shuttle ride to the collection site. The shuttle will return you to the meetup point at the end of the event.
|Thursday, April 13, 9:00am - 1:00pm - RTP Electronics Recycling Drive-Thru|||
The Bayview campus will host a recycling and property excessing event on April 20, 2023 from 10am to 2pm at the Biomedical Research Center (BRC). Collection bins for a vareity of items will be placed on the 2nd floor, along the loading dock corridor. Items containing a property barcode (accountable property items) must be submitted through your Property Custodial Officer (PCO). Acceptable items include:
- computer mice
- power strips
- small electronics
- microwave ovens
- computer cables
- filing cabinets
- computer accessories (no data storage devices)
- cell phone chargers
- NO LAB EQUIPMENT!!
Please contact LCDR James Pitt
with any questions.